Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Triple Tangent Tuesday.

1. Self Checkout Etiquette 
One of my very favorite things is self checkout at the store. If you can get behind someone that knows what they are doing it can be a lot faster than waiting in the normal line. However, sometimes you get people that are just a LITTLE too eager to start checking out. Today I was at the store and just as I finished paying for everything and was loading the bags into my cart, a guy came up and started using the scanner/register. This is what it looked like (note: I was at Kroger, not Walmart... Brandon watched a documentary about Walmart and now I'm not allowed to shop there anymore):


I spent way too long looking for a picture that would work. I'm all about personal space and this was just a little too much for me. Couldn't he have waiting until I was completely finished instead of creeping up like that and getting in my business? No need to get cozy in the grocery store. This is a pet peeve of mine... I also hate it when you're in the regular line and people start getting too close when you're paying, like the extra 10 seconds its going to take me to finish up really makes a difference. ANYWAY. So that's my first tangent of the day. Let people finish paying and totally vacate the checkout station before starting to checkout!

2. Yesterday. 
Yesterday was just not a good day. It was one of those days when I'm sure Brandon questioned why he had married the hormonal mess that I was. I woke up early planning to go run but instead ended up searching for and watching the final episodes of Friday Night Lights.



Huge mistake. It made me so sad that it's over, I can't believe the Taylors and Tim Riggins won't be on my TV anymore. So I was bummed about that and completely wasted my morning. Then Brandon called me to tell me that there was a problem with one of my loans and I had to take care of it. I honestly can't think of anything I hate more than dealing with loans, so that really didn't help my day at all. Then I started looking into jobs but had to stop because it was just too depressing. This should probably be another post but I'm just not excited about graduation or about getting a new job. I know that I should be, but I just am having a hard time mustering the energy. When I was pregnant the plan was for me to wait until next spring to look for a job, so the fact that I'm looking for one now is just another reminder that we won't be having a baby this fall. My house is a mess but I had no energy to clean it. I ate like crap the entire day which didn't make me feel any better and then I cried twice during dinner when I was explaining to Brandon why I was in such a bad/sad mood. Honestly, I look back on it now and think a crazy person must have taken over my body. So last night, before I went to bed, I decided that today was going to be a good, productive day. I made a list of everything I needed to accomplish and I am slowly making my way through that list. I've already worked out, meal planned and gone to the grocery store. I just need to clean the kitchen, straighten up, work on a presentation and cook dinner!

3. Salmon Cakes. 
New recipe for you! Brandon is a big fan of crab cakes but crab meat is super expensive so I started looking for an alternative. I found this recipe for salmon cakes and it seems to do the trick! Here's what you need:
Canned salmon
Bread crumbs
Egg
Vegetable Oil (forgot to put in picture)

You are going to want to mix everything up in a bowl. I should have measured the amount of bread crumbs that I used, but I didn't. I mix the salmon and the egg up first and then add the bread crumbs until the consistency is right- you want it to stick together without being too wet from the egg. After you get it to the right consistency, form two cakes. While you are doing this you should be heating the vegetable oil in a small sauce pan- you really don't need much, just enough to reach about half way up the salmon cake. When the oil is ready, drop both cakes into it. You'll have to keep an eye on how fast they cook, but its usually about 3 minutes per side. It's time to flip the salmon cake when it gets a pretty brown color on the bottom. These were just flipped:
Aren't they pretty? Once they are done you will want to put them on a paper towel for a little while to get some of the excess oil off and to let them cool down. You can bake these too, I just think they taste better this way. Once they are ready (you can touch them without searing your finger off) either eat them as is or crumble on top of a salad. I chose the salad route today:

(with lettuce, spinach, carrots, feta, and italian dressing)
They are delicious! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment