Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Hot. Hot. Hot.

It is freaking hot here. Every time I think of the heat expletives come to mind so I try not to think of it that often. I can pretty much hear my AC groaning to keep my tiny, poorly insulated apartment at a barely tolerable 80 degrees. It's hot here in Texas (duh) and it's just going to stay hot. Here's the ten day forecast:

Basically we're not in for relief any time soon. That 102 day is looking good though. I might have to break out a parka. We're at day number 34 for consecutive days over 100. Only 9 more days and we will break the record for the longest stretch of days over 100 in the DFW area. I'm pretty pumped about it, I hope we make it. There's not much I love more than setting records... if we make it all the way to day 42 and don't get day 43 I'm going to be ticked. Anyway, since I'm trying out this whole "positive-spin" thing on the heat, I thought I'd write a few things about it that I am thankful for.

1. I don't have a job that requires me to work outside. I might actually cry if I did.
2. My house has air conditioning, even if it barely works.
3. I can walk the dogs early in the morning and imagine what it would be like to live in an area where 85 was the average summer temperature instead of 105.
4. I don't have to worry about having enough hot water. There is PLENTY to go around.
5. "It's too hot to cook" is actually a valid excuse.
6. The dogs hate going outside for long periods of time so they have become much more efficient in the whole bathroom process.
7. I have actually lived in another country without air conditioning so anytime someone tries to be all humanitarian and says "Just be thankful you aren't in another country without air conditioning" I can respond with a terse "I have lived in another country without air conditioning. It's still miserable here."

I think seven is plenty. I wouldn't want anyone to actually think I like the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment