Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

The Streak is OVER.

Sometimes I forget that my friends on Facebook live in different areas of the country and that just because they are experiencing some type of weather does not mean that I will be experiencing that same type of weather.

For instance, people on the east coast often talk about this thing called "autumn". Not really sure what that is.

I'm sure you were all of the edge of your seats about whether or not we would break the consecutive days over 100 record here in the DFW area... I have some sad news. We did not break the record. On day 40, two days shy of tying and three days shy of breaking the record, we only made it to 98 degrees.

I had a bad feeling when I woke up that morning. I looked outside and there was actually... cloud cover. Yes, there were clouds in the sky. This is unusual. There are very rarely ever clouds in the sky and definitely not enough to call it "cloud cover".

Then I had to run an errand and made it from my car to the store and back without breaking a sweat. Also highly unusual.

Then I let the dogs out at lunchtime and was outside for a little while before realizing that I didn't feel as though my skin was going to fry off. I think it goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway, that this was unusual.

I contemplated reading outside but then decided against it because, let's be honest, 98 does not feel THAT much different than 100.

When I talked to Brandon that day I said, "I don't think we're going to make it babe. I think its over."

And Brandon was like, "WHAT????? LET'S TALK ABOUT THIS!!!"

And then I clarified that I was talking about the heat streak. I think that calmed him down because it wasn't quite as earth-shattering as what he thought I was talking about.

So, we didn't quite make it and I was quite upset.

The streak broke over a week ago and its been over 100 everyday since. We would have been on day 48 had it not ended. The only other record to break is the total number of days over 100. That record is 69, set in the summer of 1980. If you're wondering, which I'm sure you are, we've had 52 days over 100 this summer. I have no desire to break that second record. MAKE IT END, PLEASE.

The summer of 1980 is really legendary around here. If you say something about the heat someone else will say, "Well, do you remember the summer of 1980?" No, I don't remember it, I wasn't born yet and neither were you since you're five.

Anyway that's just a little update on our streaking. Or rather, lack of streaking.

1 comment:

  1. So disappointing! I love Brandon's reaction, though...haha.

    ReplyDelete